CK police briefs – Thursday, June 9, 2022

Man arrested for shoplifting after impaired outburst at Chatham store

A 31-year-old Chatham man spent some time sobering up in police custody Wednesday evening after police were called to investigate a theft at a business on Grand Avenue West in Chatham.

Police said they were called to the business just after 5 p.m. Wednesday, adding that the man was allegedly throwing some items around inside the business before he tried to leave the store without paying for an item.

Officers said they received a description of the suspect and arrested him a short distance away.

Police believed the man was “under the influence” and unable to care for himself, so he was taken back to police headquarters and held in custody until he sobered up. He was also charged with theft.


Teen arrested after allegedly slashing trailer tires after an argument

A 15-year-old Chatham youth is facing a handful of charges after he allegedly pulled out a knife and punctured a trailer’s tires after an argument with a local homeowner.

Police said the argument started after the youth was directed to leave a property that he wasn’t welcome at on King Street in Chatham just after 6 p.m. Wednesday.

Officers said they tracked the teen down and arrested him. He was charged with uttering threats, mischief, and possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose.

He was taken to police headquarters first, then later released with conditions and a future court date.


Intoxicated man allegedly hits officer who was trying to help him

A 56-year-old Chatham man is facing charges after he allegedly hit a police officer who was trying to help him.

Police said the officer approached the man while responding to a disturbance on Wellington Street East in Chatham at around 6:30 p.m. Wednesday.

The officer reportedly found the man to be intoxicated to the point where he couldn’t care for himself and tried to assist him. That’s when the man allegedly hit the officer.

The accused was arrested for being intoxicated in a public place and assaulting a police officer and was taken to police headquarters. He was later released with a future court date.


Man turns himself in after violating bail conditions

A 27-year-old Chatham man is back in police custody after he allegedly violated his bail conditions by showing up at police headquarters in Chatham.

Chatham-Kent police said the man was released by the court on April 22 with a strict house arrest that required him to remain in his residence or on the property of his residence at all times, with specific exceptions.

Officers said the man showed up at police headquarters just before 1:45 a.m. Thursday morning for a matter that didn’t qualify as an exception.

The man then turned himself in and was arrested for failing to comply with his probation order. He was set to be held in custody for a bail hearing.