CK police briefs – Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Man found in vacant apartment again

A 50-year-old man is facing more charges after Chatham-Kent police allegedly found him in a vacant apartment unit two days in a row.

On Sunday, officers responded to a complaint about a man being inside a vacant apartment unit on Sheldon Avenue in Chatham. The man was charged and released with conditions not to attend that address.

According to police, he allegedly went to the apartment again on Monday morning and was arrested.

The man, of no fixed address,  was charged with unlawfully being in a dwelling and failing to comply with his release conditions. He was released pending a future court date.


Call to police leads to weapon charges

A 34-year-old Chatham man is facing a pair of charges after police responded to a report of a suspicious person.

Officers were called on Monday afternoon about a suspicious man around a residence on Centre Side Road.

Through investigation, police located the man and learned that he was currently wanted on outstanding warrants. When officers searched him, they allegedly found brass knuckles in his possession even though he was currently bound by conditions not to possess any weapons.

The man was charged with being in possession of a prohibited weapon and being in possession of a weapon contrary to a prohibition order. He has been held in custody pending a bail hearing.


Two men arrested for allegedly driving impaired 

Two people will have to answer to impaired driving charges after a pair of separate incidents in Chatham-Kent.

On Monday afternoon, police said they responded to the report of a possible impaired driver at Kingston Park in Chatham.

According to police, the responding officer believed the man was in control of his vehicle while impaired.

As a result, he was taken to police headquarters and evaluated by a drug recognition expert, who believed the man was impaired by a drug.

The 31-year-old, of no fixed address, was charged with impaired driving and released with a future court date.

Elsewhere, on Monday night, officers responded to a two-vehicle collision on Pioneer Line near Baldoon Road.

Police believed the man responsible for the collision was driving while under the influence of alcohol. He was arrested and transported to the OPP detachment for breath tests.

The 34-year-old Chatham man was charged with having a blood alcohol concentration exceeding the legal limit, given a future court date and released from custody.


Phone sale goes amiss

A man has a future court date after a phone sale gone bad in Wallaceburg.

According to police, two men agreed to meet in a parking lot at 2 a.m. on Sunday to discuss the sale of an iPhone X.

The victim allowed the other man to inspect the phone before buying it. Instead, the man allegedly stole the phone and fled on his bike.

Officers located the man on Monday night and arrested him.

The 37-year-old, of no fixed address, was charged with theft under $5,000 and being in possession of property obtained by a crime under $5,000.

He was released with a future court date.