CK police briefs – Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Suspicious package still under investigation

Chatham-Kent police are still investigating after a suspicious package showed up outside of the Judy Lamarsh Building in Chatham.

Police closed down Wellington Street between William Street and Adelaide Street and evacuated buildings in the immediate area after the call came in at around 10 a.m. Monday.

The OPP Explosive Disposal Unit was called in to assist the municipal police, assessed the situation, and removed the suspicious package.

Police are asking anyone with information to contact Constable Ryan Kloostra at or 519-436-6600 mailbox #87144.
Anonymous callers can also call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) and may be eligible for a cash reward.

Neighbour dispute ends with two arrests

Two men are facing charges after an argument between some neighbours in Chatham took a violent turn.

Chatham-Kent police said they were called in last month and learned that a verbal argument had escalated to the point where the victim was allegedly hit with a piece of wood.

Officers said they identified the men involved and arrested them Monday afternoon.

A 37-year-old Chatham man was charged with assault with a weapon and a 19-year-old man was charged with assault. Both of them were later released pending a future court date.


Man accused of breaking glass at church, then going for a swim

A 43-year-old man is in some hot water with police after officers allegedly tracked down a mischief suspect while he was swimming in Wallaceburg.

Police said they arrested the man after getting a call from an observant citizen who allegedly saw the man damaging the front door of a church on James Street in Wallaceburg just before 7 p.m. Monday.

Officers said their investigation confirmed that the glass in the front door at St. James Anglican Church was shattered, causing an estimated $2,000 in damage.

Police said they found the suspect while he was swimming in the Sydenham River.

The accused — who was also wanted on an outstanding warrant — was arrested and charged with mischief in connection with the damage at the church.


Break and enter at auto parts store in Chatham

Chatham-Kent police are appealing to the public for tips as they investigate a break-in at NAPA Auto Parts on Lacroix Street in Chatham.

Police said officers responded to a break-in at the store at around 5:30 a.m. Tuesday, adding that their investigation showed that someone forced their way into the building and took off with some black sunglasses, a BOSE bluetooth speaker, and a Fitbit.

The damage caused by the break-in was estimated at $500.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Constable Aric Roy at or 519-436-6600 mailbox #87361.

Anonymous callers can also submit a tip to Crime Stoppers.


Allegedly impaired driver stopped in Chatham

A 62-year-old man who was already suspended from driving is facing more charges after he allegedly went out for a drug-impaired drive in Chatham Monday morning.

Police said they stopped a vehicle on McFarlane Avenue at around 8:30 a.m. Monday and believed the driver was under the influence of a drug, os he was arrested and taken back to police headquarters.

A Drug Recognition Expert conducted and evaluation and agreed with that assessment, so the man was charged with impaired driving.

Officers said the man was also charged with driving while under suspension, operating a motor vehicle without valid insurance, and failing to surrender a permit for a vehicle.

He’s set to be held in custody until June 9.


Charges laid after two crashes in CK

A 72-year-old Blenheim woman has been charged after police responded to a single-vehicle crash on Queen Street near Richmond Street in Chatham Monday morning.

Police said the woman allegedly lost control of her vehicle while turning and hit a pole.

She was taken to the hospital as a precaution and charged with careless driving.

In a separate incident, police charged a Windsor man after a two-vehicle crash on Queens Line near Merlin Road.

Officer said that collision took place Monday afternoon, adding that three people were taken to the hospital as a precaution and the damage was estimated at $25,000.

A 24-year-old Windsor man was charged with failing to yield the right of way.