UPDATE: Minor injuries reported after Thamesville fire

Fire at 8 Victoria St. in Thamesville. January 13, 2021. (Photo courtesy of CK Fire).

Careless smoking is being blamed for a structure fire that sparked in Thamesville on Wednesday morning

Firefighters from two stations were called to a blaze at 8 Victoria Street around 10:25 a.m. Chatham-Kent’s fire inspector was also at the scene with local paramedics and police.

Fire officials said flames could be seen coming from the front windows and doors, however, crews were quick to contain the fire to the primary unit while other units were searched.

All tenants were able to get out of the building without injuries but the property owner was treated at the scene for minor smoke inhalation.

Chatham-Kent fire officials later determined that the fire started because of “careless smoking material” that was left near combustibles on a mattress.

Damage is estimated at $100,000.

 

Fire at 8 Victoria St. in Thamesville. January 13, 2021. (Photo courtesy of CK Fire).