CK police briefs- Sunday, September 27, 2020

Crash causes partial shut down at downtown Chatham coffee shop

A collision in Chatham has resulted in damages estimated at $300,000.

It started around 1 p.m. Saturday when a man was coming through the Tim Hortons parking lot on Third Street in Chatham.

His truck struck a light post in the parking lot before coming across Third Street and striking a concrete post located at the Chatham-Kent Police Station.

The truck then continued on through the police station parking lot, striking another vehicle and ultimately came back across the road where it struck the wall of Tim Hortons causing severe damage.

A building inspector deemed the structural integrity of the business to be unsafe resulting in it being shut down for repairs — the drive thru is still open, though.

The two occupants of the vehicle were assessed and transported to the Chatham-Kent Health Alliance for minor injuries.

The investigation is ongoing at this time to determine the cause of the collision.

Arrest leads to drug charges

A 50-year-old is facing multiple charges after getting arrested in Chatham.

It happened around 12:30 p.m. Saturday when an off-duty officer saw a man inside a Keil Drive business. The man was wanted on several warrants.

The officer followed the man to another nearby business where additional officers arrived and placed him under arrest.

While arresting him, police found him in possession of suspected fentanyl as well as property that he had allegedly stolen from one of the businesses he was recently at.

He was charged accordingly and held in police custody for a bail hearing.

Disturbance involving golf club 

A man is facing three charges after causing a disturbance in Dresden.

Around 5 p.m. Saturday, officers were called to an apartment building for reports of a disturbance.

After investigating, police determined that a resident at the building had been allegedly threatening people with a golf club and also smashed a window.

The 33-year-old Dresden man was arrested and charged with mischief under $5,000 and two counts of uttering threats.

Cornfield damaged in break and enter

Damage is pegged around $1,000 after an unsuccessful break and enter in Orford Township.

Sometime during the nights of September 25-26 unknown suspects drove through a cornfield on Muirkirk Line, causing significant damage.

They then entered a barn on the property and tried to steal gas from the pumps located inside in building. However, they were unsuccessful and nothing was reported stolen.

Anyone with information is asked to call police or Crime Stoppers.

Arrest on warrant

A 39-year-old Chatham man will have to answer to charges after getting nabbed on an outstanding warrant,

Officers located the man around 9 a.m. Saturday on Riverview Drive in Chatham.

According to police, he attempted to flee the area when he noticed the officers. However, he was caught, arrested and taken to police headquarters.

Man arrested for failing to comply

A 29-year-old from Port Lambton was held for bail after being caught allegedly breaching his probation conditions.

Police got a call about him breaching his conditions around 2 p.m. Saturday and responded to an address in Wallaceburg.

The man fled the area before police arrived, however, he was located hiding in a bush nearby and arrested.

Ridgetown break and enter

On Saturday, police responded to an address on  Church Street in Ridgetown in regards to a break and enter.

Through investigation, it was revealed that sometime the night before, unknown suspects forced their way into a garage and stole a 2014 Yamaha Enduro motorcycle valued at $4,000.

There are currently no suspects at this time. Anyone with information is encouraged to contact the police or Crime Stoppers.

Traffic stop leads to arrest 

Saturday evening, shortly after 9 p.m., officers on general patrol initiated a traffic stop on Isabella Street in Bothwell.

Through further investigation, one of the occupants was found to be wanted on a warrant.

The 33-year old Ridgetown man was arrested and transported to Chatham-Kent Police Headquarters.