Fire breaks out at Cedar Springs home
Damage is estimated at $80,000 after a fire sparked at a home in Cedar Springs just after midnight.
Firefighters from stations in Blenheim and Raleigh South were quick to extinguish the flames at a residence at 19424 John St. The blaze sparked around 12:30 a.m. on Thursday.
Fire officials said police and paramedics were also called to the scene. No injuries were reported.
The blaze started on the home’s exterior, however, fire officials said a cause is unknown at this time.
Thursday’s fire follows a series of others that have happened across Chatham-Kent over the past two weeks.
“In the midst of this pandemic, fires will continue to happen,” said Fire Chief Chris Case in a statement. “We are reminding residents to take extra precautions while at home and make sure you have working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.”
Although the Cedar Spring home did have working smoke alarms, fire officials are encouraging residents to practice fire safety.
“Prevention is always best, we want to stop fires before they start,” said Public Educator Whitney Burk. “However, if you do have a fire in your home, your best defence is having working alarms and a home escape plan.”
Some tips to prevent fires from sparking include:
1. Limiting distractions when cooking and never leaving a stove top unattended.
2. If you smoke, smoke outside and douse cigarettes and ashes before discarding them.
3. Never overload an extension cord or wall socket and avoid counterfeit electrical products.
A template to practice a home escape plan can be found by clicking, here.