CK police briefs – Monday, January 6, 2020

Driver with no license arrested after crash

A 25-year-old Chatham woman is facing multiple charges after she allegedly caused a two-vehicle crash on Longwoods Road just east of Thamesville Sunday night.

Chatham-Kent police said the driver at fault and her passenger were both sent to the hospital with undisclosed injuries after the collision, which took place near Fairfield Line at around 6 p.m. Sunday.

The damages were estimated at $30,000.

The driver who allegedly caused the crash was charged with careless driving and driving without a license. Police said she was also wanted on an outstanding warrant for breaching her probation.

She was arrested and later released with a future court date.


Driver refuses breath test during stop in Chatham

A 43-year-old Harwich Township man is in trouble with the law after he allegedly refused to blow into an approved screening device.

Chatham-Kent police said they found the driver in an SUV in a parking lot on St. Clair Street Sunday night after receiving a traffic complaint in Chatham.

Officers said they believed the driver was under the influence of alcohol, adding there was a young teen in the vehicle at the time, too.

The driver allegedly refused to provide a breath sample, so he was arrested, charged and released with a future court date.


ATV reported stolen in Wallaceburg

Chatham-Kent police are trying to track down a Honda Foreman 450 green ATV that was stolen from a residence on North River Line over the weekend.

Police said it was taken sometime late Saturday night or early Sunday morning, adding it was last seen with a snow blade attached to the front.

The vehicle is valued at approximately $2,500.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Constable Rod Louzon at or 519-436-6600 extension #87236.

Anonymous callers can also call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) and may be eligible for a cash reward.


Chatham woman accused of stealing meat

The law has caught up with a 39-year-old Chatham woman accused of shoplifting from a local grocery store a week before Christmas.

Police said they were able to identify a woman accused of walking out of the No Frills in Chatham on December 18 with more than $200 worth of meat she didn’t pay for in her grocery bags.

Officers said she was arrested Sunday morning and charged with theft and possession of property obtained by crime.


Arrest after alleged assault

A 35-year-old Chatham woman is charged with two counts of assault after police were called to an alleged domestic disturbance in Chatham.

Officers said that was Sunday afternoon. The woman was charged and later released with a future court date.


Six arrests on outstanding warrants

Chatham-Kent police can knock another half-dozen names off of their wanted list after a busy 24-hour stretch of arrests.

Officers said they caught up with six people between Sunday morning and Monday morning who were wanted on outstanding warrants.

The first was a 31-year-old man of no fixed address who was wanted for failing to comply with his release conditions. Officers said he turned himself in at police headquarters early Sunday morning and was taken into custody pending a bail hearing.

An officer on general patrol made the second arrest, picking up a 32-year-old Chatham man in an alleyway near Fourth Street in Chatham Sunday morning who was wanted for failing to attend court. That man was also taken into custody pending a bail hearing.

The third and fourth arrests both took place on Park Avenue in Chatham Sunday morning.

Police said they located a 31-year-old Chatham woman who was wanted for property-related offences and failing to attend court. They also arrested a 33-year-old Chatham man who was wanted in connection with a shoplifting incident in Wallaceburg last month. Both of them were later released with a future court date.

The fifth arrest was initially made by Canadian Border Services at the Walpole Island crossing. Investigators said a 35-year-old Walpole island man who was wanted for drug-related offences and failing to attend court was arrested there Sunday night and taken back to police headquarters in Chatham for processing. He was taken into custody pending a bail hearing.

The sixth arrest was early Monday morning — a 38-year-old man who was wanted for failing to comply with his curfew reportedly turned himself in at police headquarters. He was arrested and taken into custody pending a bail hearing.