CK police briefs – Thursday, August 8, 2019

Pair of break and enters

Chatham-Kent police are investigating a pair of break-ins that both took place sometime over the past week in Chatham.

Police said sometime on August 5, someone forced their way into a residence on Early Street and took off with some money and a cell phone.

In the second case, someone broke into a tiki hut located at a business on Grand Avenue sometime around 4:30 a.m. on August 8 and took off with some alcohol.

Anyone with information on either of those investigations is asked to contact Chatham-Kent police or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).


Police dog helps to track down wanted man

Chatham-Kent police dog Arry was hard at work early Thursday morning.

Officers said he was called in to track down a suspect after a man was seen riding a bicycle away from a business on Richmond Street in Chatham where an alarm had gone off at around 1:50 a.m.

Police said they were able to identify the man and learned that he was wanted on a number of outstanding warrants.

Officers said after Arry was called in, he was able to track down the suspect and “successfully apprehend him.”

A 35-year-old Chatham man was then arrested and taken into custody pending a bail hearing.


Copper wire stolen

Police are investigating after someone broke into a locked shed on Louise Street and stole some copper cables while also causing damage to a generator.

The damage is estimated at $2,000.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Constable Jeff Murray at or 519-436-6600 extension #87108.


UPDATE: Stolen truck recovered, arrests made

Chatham-Kent police have recovered a 2016 GMC Sierra pickup truck that was reported stolen from a residence on Maynard Line Tuesday night.

Police said officers on general patrol in Wallaceburg found the vehicle Wednesday morning while they were investigating a separate pickup truck that allegedly had a stolen license plate attached to it.

When the officers followed the truck with the stolen plates, it pulled into a residence where the Sierra truck was parked.

As a result of the investigation, two 29-year-old Chatham men have been arrested and charged with three counts of possession of stolen property.

They were taken into custody pending a bail hearing.