CK police briefs- Saturday, July 6, 2019

Motor vehicle collision in Chatham

An intersection in Chatham was closed for several hours after an afternoon collision.

It happened around 3 p.m. Friday at the intersection of Park Avenue and Lacroix Street. The collision caused a large amount of fuel to leak onto the roadway and the intersection was closed for several hours to clean up.

The driver of one of the vehicles involved was taken to the hospital with minor injuries. A 23-year-old woman was charged with failing to yield from a driveway.

Argument leads to assault charges

A night of drinking turned into a fiasco for two men.

According to police, shortly before midnight on Friday, two men were drinking at a King Street East residence when they started to argue with each other.

The verbal fight turned physical, with one man allegedly hitting the other over the head with a whiskey bottle. The man fell to the ground and was then repeatedly kicked in the head by the other man.

The assailant fled the scene but was eventually located and arrested. The 52-year-old Chatham man is facing charges of failing to comply with undertaking and assault with a weapon. He was held in custody for a bail hearing.

The victim was taken to the hospital and sustained non-life threatening injuries.

Man arrested on an outstanding warrant

A man is in trouble with the law stemming from a 2018 arrest.

Police say in December 2018, the 33-year-old Southwold man was arrested after allegedly stealing a number of items from a store in Wallaceburg. He was given a court date which he did not attend and therefore a warrant was issued for his arrest.

On Friday, the man was located by the O.P.P. and arrested on the warrant. He was taken to the Chatham-Kent police station and released on a promise to appear at a future court date.

Public intoxication charge 

A man who allegedly had too much to drink ended up spending his Friday night with police.

According to police, they got a call around 9 p.m. about a drunk man trying to start a fight with people on Baxter Street in Chatham.

The 24-year-old Chatham man was held in police custody and charged with people intoxicated in a public place.