UPDATE: House fire causes significant damage to O’Neil Street home

House fire on O’Neil Street in Chatham. June 12, 2019. (Photo courtesy of CK Fire and Emergency Services/ via Twitter).

Part of the roof at a residence on the intersection O’Neil Street and Berry Street has collapsed following an afternoon fire in Chatham.

Firefighters arrived at the home at around 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday to find heavy flames coming from the rear of the home.

Assistant Chief Phil Thorburn said the fire appears to have started outside of the home and it appears to have been a result of careless smoking.

Damage to the home is extensive and fire officials estimated the cost at around $200,000.

Fire officials said no one was in the house by the time fire crews arrived at the scene, thanks to a neighbour who noticed the fire and alerted the home’s only occupant. Firefighters were also successful in rescuing a pet from inside the house.

-With files from Allanah Wills