Chief Gary Conn and Inspector Trevor Crane. April 11, 2019. (Photo courtesy of Chatham-Kent Police Services).

Accused drug kingpin remains behind bars

A Chatham man facing a long list of drug-related charges will have to wait until next week to see if he gets bail.

Jonathan Toornstra appeared for a bail hearing on Friday, but the proceedings have been pushed to April 25, 2019. He appeared in court by video April 18, 2019 and retained defence lawyer David Jacklin, who said he needs more time to review the case and for more disclosure to be released. In the meantime, the 35-year-old Toornstra remains behind bars.

Toornstra is charged with 18 offences after a $2.6 million drug bust in Chatham April 10, 2019. Officers seized cocaine, methamphetamine, heroin, marijuana, hydromorphone, GHB, ecstasy, morphine, and fentanyl. Other items seized included a handgun, ammunition, a digital scale, packaging materials, and $52,000 in Canadian cash.

Police Chief Gary Conn said it is the largest drug bust in Chatham-Kent’s history. Chief Conn previously vowed to continue fighting against the sale and consumption of illegal drugs in the community.