Wallaceburg Fire Causes $400K In Damages

O’Neil Tire and Battery fire in Wallaceburg. (Photo courtesy of Chatham-Kent Fire and Emergency Services).

A fire that happened over the weekend at a Wallaceburg business has been deemed accidental.

Officials with the Chatham-Kent fire department said a fire broke out at O’Neil Tire and Battery around 10:30am on January 13.

Following an investigation, fire officials announced Tuesday morning that the fire was indeed accidental.

“Buildings such as these present significant challenges and hazards to firefighters,” said Assistant Chief Chris Case in a media release. “By virtue of the fact that the fire broke out during the day and was noticed during its early stages, crews were able to get on scene, make entry and quickly extinguish before the whole building took hold.”

No injuries were reported. However, the fire caused about $400,000 worth of damages.