Chatham fire on Campus Parkway. December 5,2017. (Photo courtesy of the Chatham-Kent Fire and Emergency Services).

Stove Top Fire Sparks In Chatham

A stove top fire has caused $100,000 in damages to a Chatham home.

Fire officials say crews were called to Campus Parkway around 5:30pm Tuesday night.

β€œThe homeowner came home, opened the front door and found the house was full of thick black smoke,” says Assistant Chief Chris Case in a media release. “A pot had been left on the stove — such an easy thing to be distracted and do this, but the consequences can be tragic.”

Firefighters were able to put out the fire quickly and prevent it from spreading.

No injures were reported.

Public Educator Whitney Burk says these types of fires tend to happen more around the holiday season.

“Stove top fires are the most common type of cooking fire,” says Burk in a media release. “We have a lot on our minds during the holidays and it is easy to get sidetracked, thus we are asking everyone to stay in the kitchen when cooking and always double check that the stove and oven are shut off.”

Fire crews will return to the area Wednesday afternoon to check alarms and go over home escape plans.