CK Feeds The World With 74 Tasty Products

Market and flag raising kicks off local food week at the Chatham-Kent Civic Centre. June 5, 2017. (Photo by Paul Pedro)

Local Food Week is underway.

It was kicked off with a market and flag raising at the Chatham-Kent Civic Centre at 11am on Monday.

Mary Anne Udvari, director with the Kent Federation of Agriculture, says the purpose of the farmers market is to promote local products, encourage consumers to think locally, and be aware of the abundant diverse products that are grown and produced in our community.

“Throughout the year there is a constant supply of locally produced meats. eggs, poultry, dairy products, and fruits and vegetables at your grocery stores, your farmers markets, your farm retailers, restaurants, and community events,”  says Udvari.

Market and flag raising kicks off local food week at the Chatham-Kent Civic Centre. June 5, 2017. (Photo by Paul Pedro)

Market and flag raising kicks off local food week at the Chatham-Kent Civic Centre. June 5, 2017. (Photo by Paul Pedro)

Mayor Randy Hope says Chatham-Kent grows 74 high quality products for the world.

Local Food Week ends June 10.

Lyndsay Davidson, registered dietician with the Chatham-Kent Public Health Unit, says the health unit has several programs to boost fruit and vegetable consumption in our area because it’s one of the lowest consumers of fruits and vegetables.

“Frequenting local farmers markets as well as many other programs that are happening.  At the health unit we are doing a lot.  We have our farm to school program that is growing every year, which for us is very exciting because it’s a great way for us to get fruits and vegetables to children in schools,” Davidson says.

Ward 4 Councillor Leon LeClair, who also farms, says buying local food has many benefits.

“When it’s not local at a grocery store, 18% of that dollar will go back to a farmer and the other 82% through the various chains of middlemen.  However, buying here today, it stays with the local producer.  It goes back where he can reinvest into his farm and into his family, to stay here and to grow and to get bigger and better,” says LeClair.