Fireplace Sparks Costly Blaze

The Chatham-Kent Fire Department logo. (Photo by Bob Becken)

The damages are estimated at $100,000 and one person is recovering from smoke inhalation after a fire at a home on Zone Centre Line just west of Bothwell.

Fire officials say the blaze was started accidentally by a spark from a fireplace.

Firefighters were called to the scene during the noon-hour on Thursday and battled the fire for several hours before it was eventually extinguished.

Investigators say the back side of the home, a shed, a trailer, and multiple vehicles were all damaged as a result.