UPDATE: Fire At Strip Mall

Crews clean up following a fire at the Pennington's on Grand Ave. W (Photo taken by Jake Kislinsky)

Damage is pegged at $250,000 following a fire at Pennington’s in the Thames Lea Plaza on Grand Ave. W in Chatham.

The Chatham-Kent Fire Department was called to the store (that had closed for the night) just before 10pm on Thursday.

Assistant Fire Chief Rick Arnel says the blaze was sparked by a monitor that overheated and led to some nearby combustibles catching fire. He adds while the fire didn’t spread to any of the other stores in the strip, the location did provide some challenges.

“Part of the difficulty is the size of the building and getting to the back of the building,” says Arnel. “We had some issues there but we got back and the fire is out.”

Officials are reporting a lot of smoke damage to clothes throughout the store, the amount of property saved is estimated at $100,000.

With files from reporter Jake Kislinsky.