New OPP Billing Model Fair

BlackburnNews.com file photo.

The Ontario Provincial Police is introducing a new billing model for the municipalities it serves in the province.

After consultation with communities throughout the province, the new model is supposed to be more transparent and reactive to actual police calls in any given municipality.

Tecumseh Mayor Gary McNamara is pleased with the changes and expects the town’s costs to decline because of the new model.

“It gives the municipality a lot more flexibility in designing a community safety plan that really will make a lot of sense,” says McNamara.

Base policing costs covering things like infrastructure, vehicles and uniforms will cover 60% of the bill and actual calls to service will make up the remaining 40%. The new model takes effect January 1, 2015 and will be phased in over a five-year period to allow municipalities to adjust their budgets.