Noelle Frank of Sarnia sustained burns to 30 per cent of her body when a pot filled with boiling water spilled down her legs. Feb. 10 2018. (Photo from Noelle's GoFundMe page)

Sarnia Woman Raises Awareness For Burn Victims

Sarnia Fire and Rescue is doing its part to prevent serious injuries during Burn Awareness Week.

One Sarnia woman who knows all too well how devastating burns can be is Noelle Frank.

Last May, Noelle sustained burns to 30 per cent of her body when a pot filled with boiling water spilled down her legs.

She says it was an experience that’s tough to relive.

“The scream that came out of my mouth was like something from a horror movie,” she says. “Just like that, everything changed. I couldn’t breathe and I felt like I was going to pass out.”

Noelle is still recovering from her burns, and since not all treatment methods are covered, her friends started a GoFundMe campaign.

Fire Life Safety Educator Mike Otis says there are a few steps that can be taken to protect young children.

Preventive measures include having a three foot “safety zone” around your stove, and turning pot handles inward.

Otis says scalds are 34 per cent of overall burn injuries, and 62 per cent of those are children under the age of five.

He also advises using spill-proof containers for hot food, and never to microwave baby bottles.

Children should always be supervised while bathing, and the water should be less than 38 degrees celsius.

Noelle Frank of Sarnia sustained burns to 30 per cent of her body when a pot filled with boiling water spilled down her legs. Feb. 10 2018. (Photo from Noelle's GoFundMe page)

Noelle Frank of Sarnia sustained burns to 30 per cent of her body when a pot filled with boiling water spilled down her legs. Feb. 10 2018. (Photo from Noelle’s GoFundMe page)