Sarnia Fire and Rescue Saved a Dog From a House Fire - Feb 8/18 (Photo courtesy of Sarnia Professional Firefighters Association via Twitter)

UPDATE: Stove Burner Sparks House Fire

Damage is pegged at $200,000 in a northend house fire Thursday afternoon.

Sarnia Fire Prevention Officer Roel Bus says when firefighters arrived in the 1300 block of Wiltshire Dr., they encountered low visibility in smoke and extreme heat.

He says they were able to contain the blaze to the kitchen.

“The cause was found to be the heat from one of the burners on the stove igniting nearby combustibles,” says Bus. “It got into the cupboards, into the wall and the kitchen ceiling. It’s classified to be accidental.”

None of the residents was injured in the fire and the family dog was rescued from the basement.

The fire was the 14th structure fire in the city so far this year.

With files from Josh Boyce