Monte McNaughton. (Photo by Ashton Patis)

McNaughton Won’t Seek Ontario PC Leadership

The MPP for Lambton-Kent-Middlesex says he won’t seek the leadership of Ontario’s Progressive Conservatives.

Monte McNaughton released a statement Tuesday afternoon saying the last several days have been a tumultuous time for his party.

“During this period I have heard from hundreds of supporters, friends and family members in ridings all across Ontario,” says McNaughton. “I appreciate the wisdom and advice that has been shared with me, and more importantly, I appreciate the optimism and hope for our party and for our province.”

“After reviewing the expedited timelines, financial and personal commitments required in order to not only mount a successful leadership campaign, but also a successful provincial election campaign, I have decided to focus my efforts on my local re-election campaign in Lambton-Kent-Middlesex.”

McNaughton made a leadership bid in 2015, but ended his campaign to support Patrick Brown saying he felt supporting Brown would bring the party together.

Brown stepped down last week amid sexual misconduct allegations — which he vehemently denies.

Newly appointed interim PC leader Vic Fedeli announced Tuesday he won’t make a bid for permanent leadership of the party.

Former Toronto councillor and failed mayoral candidate Doug Ford is the only candidate currently campaigning for the party’s leadership.