Blackburn News Photo.

Firefighters Douse Burning Couch Outside Home

Sarnia Fire and Rescue is cautioning against removing burning items from your home, after a blaze in the 700-block of Devine St. Monday afternoon.

Fifteen firefighters from three stations responded around 1:45pm.

Public Education Officer Mike Otis says when they arrived, smoke was coming from the home, and there was a burning couch outside.

“Never hesitate to call 911, and get out as quickly and safely as possible and call 911 once you are outside of the structure,” says Otis. “It was deemed to be accidental in nature, and there’s no damage estimate available.”

Otis says crews were able to quickly contain the fire, and extinguish the couch.

He says an occupant of the home was taken to hospital by Lambton EMS to be treated for smoke inhalation.