Fire at Confederation St. home Jan 11, 2018. Photo submitted by Becky Curran.

Family Pet Revived Following Late Night Fire

A skill saw is to blame for a fire Thursday night in the city’s south end.

The blaze broke out in a detached garage around 10:45pm in the 500-block of Confederation St.

Sarnia Fire Prevention Officer Roel Bus says the skill saw was still hot when it was put away in the garage and it ignited some materials around it.

Bus says the fire spread to the nearby multi-unit home before being brought under control.

“All of the residents were out of the house and the firefighters actually rescued a dog as well,” says Bus. “The dog was found upstairs, taken downstairs, and revived with the help from a vet.”

Bus says the damage is extensive and both structures appear to be write-offs.

Sarnia Transit, Sarnia-Lambton Victim Services, Lambton EMS and members of the 1st Hussars also assisted at the scene.