Wrecking Ball Imminent On Former Sarnia General SiteDecember 27, 2017 6:27am
Residents will likely see some movement at the old Sarnia General Hospital site soon.
Director of Planning and Building Alan Shaw says a demolition permit has been issued.
“A permit was issued on December 12 for the removal of the [power] stack,” says Shaw, adding that another demolition permit is pending. “The nursing residence has been applied for and is in the process of being reviewed by city staff.”
GFIVE Inc. purchased the property earlier this year and is planning to build a multi-faceted development, which may also include a new Withdrawal Management Centre proposed by Bluewater Health.
As part of the sale, the city committed $5.3-million toward demolition and remediation of the site.
Fencing to secure the site in advance of demolition was erected this past September.
The hospital has sat empty since it closed in late 2011.