Algonac Flaming Grill (Photo courtesy of Facebook)

Lambton Public Health Warns Of Hepatitis A Exposure

If you’ve eaten at the Algonac Flaming Grill this month — you may have been exposed to Hepatitis A.

Lambton Public Health is urging anyone who ate at the restaurant in Algonac, Michigan — which is easily accessed by the Walpole Island Ferry, between Friday October 6 and Friday October 20 to call them.

Health Protection Supervisor Erin Courtney says to date there have been no confirmed cases of the viral liver disease in Lambton County.

The restaurant reported in a Facebook post Saturday that during that time period, a new waitress trainee had developed symptoms and was later hospitalized and diagnosed with hepatitis A.

The hepatitis A virus is transmitted through ingestion of contaminated food or water or through direct contact with an infected person.

While almost everyone fully recovers from it with a lifelong immunity, the World Health Organization says a very small portion of people infected could die.

Symptoms include:

  • Fever
  • Nausea
  • Diarrhea
  • Abdominal discomfort
  • Dark coloured urine
  • Jaundice (a yellowing of the skin and whites of the eyes)

The incubation period is usually 14-28 days.

According to the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services there were 319 confirmed cases between August 1, 2016 and September 15, 2017, resulting in 14 deaths.