Sarnia fire truck (BlackburnNews.com file photo)

Discarded Cigarette Causes Fire

Residents are being reminded to properly dispose of used cigarettes after a small fire at a Carr St. home on Monday morning.

Sarnia Fire and Rescue responded around 9:45am and upon arrival, noticed the wood underneath the siding was smouldering and there was minor smoke in the basement.

Fire Prevention Officer Roel Bus says a cigarette ignited dry leaves between the house and the deck.

“If you smoke at the home, we generally recommend smoking outside,” says Bus. “If you keep the butts in a metal container, maybe with some liquid in there, that would be the best way to discard your cigarettes.”

Damage was estimated at $17,000, and there were no injuries.