File photo of a London fire truck. (Photo by Miranda Chant, Blackburn News)

Sprinkler system contains fire at retirement community

A heating pad is getting the blame after a small fire broke out a retirement community in London.

The London Fire Department said on Monday around 7:25 p.m., a smoke alarm notified fire crews of the fire in an apartment unit at The Manor Village at 230 Victoria St. When firefighters arrived, smoke could be seen coming from the apartment but the fire had already been extinguished by the building’s sprinkler system.

According to fire officials, the fire was caused by a heating pad that had been left too close to combustibles and resulted in a living room chair catching fire.

All of the residents affected were safely moved from the area by staff at the retirement home before firefighters arrived. No injuries have reported.

The fire and smoke damage were contained to the one apartment unit, but other units sustained water damage from the sprinkler system. Total damage is estimated at around $30,000.