File photo courtesy of © Can Stock Photo / Alexis84

Fire Department Issues Careless Smoking Warning

The London Fire Department is reminding smokers to be careful with their butts.

So far this year, according to the fire department, there have been 12 fires that were caused by the careless disposal of cigarette butts and other smoking materials. Those fires caused six injuries and over $400,000 in damage.

“We are seeing far too many fires being caused by the careless disposal of smoking materials,” said Deputy Chief Brian McLaughlin. “These fires and injuries caused by these fires are entirely preventable.”

The fire department is recommending several steps aimed at preventing fires caused by careless smoking.

  • Encourage smokers to smoke outside.
  • Do not extinguish cigarettes in plant pots, which may contain a mixture of peat moss, shredded wood and bark that can easily ignite.
  • Never smoke in bed.
  • Use large, deep ashtrays that cannot be knocked over.
  • Empty ashes into a metal container – not the garbage can – and put it outside.
  • If people have been smoking in your home, check behind chair and sofa cushions for cigarette butts before going to bed.

The fire department is also reminding people that it is mandatory to have smoke alarms outside all sleeping areas. It suggests having one in every bedroom, testing the alarms every month, and replacing the batteries at least once a year.