The Ridgetown Tractor Day Parade held on June 10, 2016. (Photo by Ricardo Veneza)The Ridgetown Tractor Day Parade held on June 10, 2016. (Photo by Ricardo Veneza)
Chatham

Dresden School Says Goodbye To Tractor Day

The tradition of holding an annual Tractor Day is biting the dust at another school in Chatham-Kent.

Lambton Kent Composite School Principal Jim Keane says the school will no longer be hosting its annual Tractor Day.

"We want it to be a good and fun day, but in a safe and responsible way," says Keane. "We can't regulate how students travel to school, but within the confines of the school day here on our school campus we can plan some activities that include everyone."

Ridgetown District High School also cancelled its Tractor Parade due to liability concerns.

Keane says it's possible students may still bring their tractors to school, but it's not something that's being encouraged.

"This was a plan that was a reflection of the student voice project--the larger project that the board had," he says.

Keane says the decision was made shortly after semester one of this school year.

He says the school has another event up its sleeve for the students to replace Tractor Day.

"We have the LKX, as in student exhibition of learning, planned on June 7," he says. "We have fun grade-based activities planned, but we also have some student displays that are going to open to the public as well."

Keane says there will be a tech challenge that's based on robotics, a tomato toss, and presentations on classes' culminating projects.

"We're hoping that this will be a good start. It's something a little different for us and we will gain momentum and we will keep this going for the years to come," he says.

Read More Local Stories