(Photo courtesy of Chatham-Kent Fire and Emergency Services / Whitney Burke)

Landlord Fined Over Expired Smoke Alarms

A landlord in Chatham is learning the hard way that buying new smoke alarms is a lot cheaper than getting fined for having expired ones.

Local fire officials say they fined a landlord $360 after finding expired smoke alarms in a home on Park Ave. in Chatham on Wednesday.

Crews were responding to a grease fire in the kitchen at the home when they learned the smoke alarms were expired.

“Since March 1, 2006, it is the law for all Ontario homes to have a working smoke alarm on every storey and outside all sleeping areas,” Fire Prevention Officer Scott Sproule said in a release. “We are committed to maintaining the safety of our community and take a robust approach to landlords protecting their tenants.”

Officials say the firefighters were able to enter the house and quickly knock down the fire to prevent it from spreading.

No injuries were reported and there is no word on how much damage was caused by the fire.