Dryer fire at 349 Sandy St. in Chatham. February 4, 2018. (Photo courtesy of CKFES.)

Chatham Dryer Fire Causes $80K In Damages

The Chatham-Kent fire department says a dryer was to blame for a fire early Sunday morning.

According to CKFES Public Educator Whitney Burk, fire crews responded to a report of a dryer fire at 349 Sandy St. in Chatham on Sunday at around 12:35am.

Burk says smoke alarms alerted the residents of the fire and they safely escape the residence before firefighters could arrive.

She says firefighters quickly put out the fire and prevented it from spreading beyond the laundry room. It is reported that there was heavy smoke damage throughout the rest of the unit.

There were no reported injuries.

Damages are estimated at $80,000.