Chatham-Kent fire crews respond to a fire on Ebenezer St. in Ridgetown. January 4, 2018. (Photo courtesy of Chatham-Kent Fire and Emergency Services via Twitter)

Cigarette Sparks House Fire In Ridgetown

Damages are estimated at $150,000 after a house fire on Ebenezer St. in Ridgetown Thursday night.

Fire officials say it was started by the “improper disposal of a cigarette.”

“Careless smoking is the leading cause of fire deaths in the home,” says Public Educator Whitney Burk. “Luckily yesterday, everyone got out safely.”

Fire crews got the call just after 8pm Thursday and by the time they arrived, the back of the residenc was already fully engulfed in flames. Firefighters were able to knock down the flames quickly, though, in order to stop it from spreading.

Fire officials are reminding residents to put water on ashes and cigarette butts to make sure they’re completely extinguished before you throw them in the trash.

Chatham-Kent fire crews respond to a fire on Ebenezer St. in Ridgetown. January 4, 2018. (Photo courtesy of Chatham-Kent Fire and Emergency Services via Twitter)

Chatham-Kent fire crews respond to a fire on Ebenezer St. in Ridgetown. January 4, 2018. (Photo courtesy of Chatham-Kent Fire and Emergency Services via Twitter)