Chatham Employers Look To Fill Hundreds Of PositionsOctober 12, 2017 4:56am
Job seekers got a chance to meet prospective employers face to face at a job fair in Chatham.
Kristy Jacobs, project manager for the Chatham-Kent Workforce Planning Board, says the “whole gamut” of employers came to the CK Works! Community Job Fair at the John D. Bradley Centre on Wednesday.
“We’ve got 25 employers and a variety of different sectors. We’ve got jobs in daycare, financial, food service — just a whole range of entry-level right through to very high skilled,” says Jacobs.
Other sectors of available jobs at the fair included manufacturing, customer service, marketing, sales/promotions, hospitality, healthcare providers, and maintenance.
Jacobs says over 40 job seekers eagerly waited to be let into the job fair before the doors opened. She says there may be another one in the future.
“This was kind of our first kick at the can. We would love to — there’s been a lot of community support, people are really interested and excited about it, employers are excited about it, but ultimately it comes down to what’s best for everybody… so if this turns out quite well and people are happy with it, we’re happy to do it again,” explains Jacobs.
One of the employers that attended the job fair was the Chatham-Kent Health Alliance (CKHA).
Manager of Labour Relations and Recruitment Brian VanDooren says there are many openings at the hospital, which currently has around 1350 employees.
“At the moment we are looking for RNs (registered nurses) specifically, but we do always have a need for quality applicants in our various positions: RPNs (registered practical nurses), PSWs (personal support workers), therapists, dietary aides, housekeepers, clerical as well. We are always on the lookout for great applicants,” says VanDooren.
VanDooren says experience in healthcare is an asset for these positions, as well as proper educational requirements.
The following employers attended the CK Works! Job Fair:
- Manufacturing Employers: US Ecology, AarKel Tool and Die Ltd, Presteve Foods Limited, Great Lakes Food Company, On Point Precision MFG Inc, Schinkel’s Legacy
- Construction Employers: Bryan’s Drywall, Advanced Basement Systems
- Child Care Employers: Growing Together Family Resource Centre
- Food Services Employers: Subway, Tim Hortons, Swiss Chalet
- Healthcare Employers: Chatham Kent Health Alliance
- Long Term Care Employers: Park Street Place Retirement Residence, River View Gardens
- Customer Service Employers: YA, Concentrix Corp, TekSavvy Solutions Inc
- Marketing Employers: Intellitix Technologies Inc
- Agricultural Services Employers: Nipissing Game Farm Inc, Peeters Mushrooms Inc
- Social Services Employers: Community Living Chatham-Kent
- Financial Services Employers: SunLife Financial
- Recruitment Employers: Renaissance Personnel