Firefighters respond to a an accidental kitchen fire in Wallaceburg. May 18, 2017. (Photo courtesy of Chatham-Kent Fire and Emergency Services)

Accidental Kitchen Fire In Wallaceburg

The damages are estimated at $80,000 after a fire broke out at an empty home on Bruce St. in Wallaceburg.

Fire crews say they got the call at around 5:20pm Thursday. When crews arrived, they saw thick black smoke coming out of the residence.

Firefighters say the blaze started in the kitchen, and even though they were able to stop it from spreading to the rest of the house, there was still extensive damage caused by the heat and the smoke.

No injuries were reported and there was no one home at the time. The cause is going down as accidental.

Fire officials are now reminding residents to turn off all appliances before leaving home and to never leave the stove or oven unattended — even if you are cooking something on low heat.