CFIA Ready To Continue With Safe Food RegulationsJanuary 8, 2018 8:33am
From January to April of 2017, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency held public consultations on the proposed Safe Food for Canadians Regulations.
There are five themes,
- Technical, that includes clarification of definitions, and application of licensing
- Small business, which includes threshold level for exemption and cost of licensing
- Organic products, the perceived duplication with existing regulatory requirements and inclusion of aquatic platns.
- Implementation, timelines, access to CFIA documents and on-going engagement
- And the fifth theme is trade and competitiveness.
There were over 1,700 submssions and CFIA officials say the will provide direction and the organization is preparing a final publication of the regulations which is planned to appear in Canada Gazette, Part II in spring of this year.